OT: tracking down how www-data is sending mail

Steven J Lamb redhattedsheep at adiis.net
Mon Feb 13 20:16:32 UTC 2006

I have probably a unique problem. almost a year ago I took over the Sys
Admin role of a small ISP. In the past year I have found much crap that was
setup and tested and now is really just a security hole or other annoyance.
now I'm finding due to the use of a some status reports I have recently
setup that I am sending out about 50000 messages about once a week to a
large group of AOL email addresses. these emails appear to originate from
www-data on one of my web server that has a legitimate reason to run an
email server. I have been able to track down the fact that these messages
are being added to my outgoing mail by use of the maildrop folder as is a
part of my postfix installation. I have oddly not received complaints about
this large amount of messages and it is possible these messages are supposed
to be going out for some unknown reason. however I would like to search a
bit further for where the emails are being generated. I have tried some
searching for /var/spool/postfix/maildrop in the files on my webspace. but
not yet found any references. can anyone suggest any way to help point out
where these are coming from.

thanks

I am running debian with postfix and apache2 any other info available upon
request