Samba problems - printing solved

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Feb 13 22:05:13 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 03:10:11PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 13 February 2006 12:06, Craig White wrote:
> > home share.
> >
> > Cups by default does not share printers - you have to tell it to do
> > that. All you really need to do to share a printer is to use
> > system-config-printer and indicate which printer you want to share. It
> > seems that you want to complicate things.
> >
> Sometimes the need to define the problem to post to list helps you get focus.
> I had printer entries visible in system-config-printer that were not
> shareable, or editable.  I opened up the cups config screen and deleted the
> entries, then re-added them from system-config-printer.  They are now usable
> on other boxes on the lan.
>
> Now I need to solve the problem of 'homes'
Ok, I can't solve the homes problem but as I have said before
system-config-printer is not really compatible with CUPS printing and
sharing is one of the things it does not do properly, even it is
working for you right now.

What you did above is exactly backwards. You should have deleted all
the printer definitions with system-config-printers, and did all the
printer configuration through the CUPS interfaces and files.
To share printers on a print server, define all the printers on the
server. Then add a single line to the /etc/cups/client.conf on the
clients. The line to be configured says: ServerName sol.cs.trinity.edu
Where you fill in your print servers name. Easy no!

	There was once a programmer who worked upon microprocessors.  "Look at
how well off I am here," he said to a mainframe programmer who came to visit,
"I have my own operating system and file storage device.  I do not have to
share my resources with anyone.  The software is self-consistent and
easy-to-use.  Why do you not quit your present job and join me here?"
	The mainframe programmer then began to describe his system to his
friend, saying: "The mainframe sits like an ancient sage meditating in the
midst of the data center.  Its disk drives lie end-to-end like a great ocean
of machinery.  The software is a multi-faceted as a diamond and as convoluted
as a primeval jungle.  The programs, each unique, move through the system
like a swift-flowing river.  That is why I am happy where I am."
	The microcomputer programmer, upon hearing this, fell silent.  But the
two programmers remained friends until the end of their days.
		-- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484