DVD Playback under Fedora Core 4

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Feb 13 23:18:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 22:33 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 13 February 2006 20:41, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > I suspect that the message seen concerned the MRL, not URL.
> >
> > There is a reference to an MRL too.
> >
> >   It looks  suspiciously like the message you get if you try to play an
> > encrypted DVD on
> >
> > > xine without the css package
> >
> > Well that is really interesting . Well my Fedora Core 4 installation of
> > xine is able of
> > playing encrypted DVDs , my Fedora Core 1 isn't , i suspect a crypled
> > installation
> > on Fedora Core 1 though .
> >

> >   - IIRC it's something like libdvd-css.
> >
> > > ibdvdcss.a
> > > -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          812 Dec  8 15:05 libdvdcss.la
> > > lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Dec  8 15:05 libdvdcss.so ->
> > > libdvdcss.so.2.0.8 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Dec  8
> > > 15:05 libdvdcss.so.2 -> libdvdcss.so.2.0.8 -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root
> > >         65K Dec  8 15:05 libdvdcss.so.2.0.8
> >
> > Do you mean something like the above entries
> >
> > ( It comes from my Fedora Core 4 installation , it's part of the
> > /usr/lib directory )
> >

> > I'm not  sure where you can get the Fedora    package, though.
> >
> > First choice , the source
> > Second choice , the nearest Fedora Core Repository .
> >

> > Thanks for the information .
> >
> > > Anne
> >
> > Kostas
>
> That's interesting.  I haven't actually tried playing a DVD under Fedora yet.
> I did assume that Fedora, like Mandriva, would not have those packages in
> their main distro, because of licensing problems.  I did assume that they
> would be available from somewhere.  When more urgent jobs are sorted I will
> try a DVD.
>
> Anne

There are 3 repos I use beyond FC for routine updates and otherwise not
available software.  Livna, Dag (now rpmforge) and kde-redhat-stable.
Several others are also available to get the software you want that is
not provided by Fedora.

IIRC, when I wanted to be able to use xine for DVD play, I simply
enabled the repo (rpmforge and livna [enabled separately]) then ran
"yum install dvd* libdvd* xine*" and it gave me the following:

xine-lib-devel-1.1.1-1.2.fc4.rf
xine-skins-1.10-2.2.fc4.rf
xinetd-2.3.13-6
xine-0.99.4-3.2.fc4.rf
xine-lib-1.1.1-1.2.fc4.rf
libdvdread-devel-0.9.4-7.2.fc4.rf
dvd+rw-tools-5.21.4.10.8-6
gstreamer-plugins-extra-dvd-0.8.11-0.lvn.2.4
libdvdplay-1.0.1-0.2.fc4.rf
libdvdnav-devel-0.1.10-0.lvn.1.4
libdvdread-0.9.4-7.2.fc4.rf
dvdstyler-1.4-0.lvn.3.4
dvdauthor-0.6.11-1.2.fc4.rf
libdvdnav-0.1.10-0.lvn.1.4
libdvdcss-1.2.9-1.2.fc4.rf
libdvdplay-devel-1.0.1-0.2.fc4.rf
libdvdcss-devel-1.2.9-1.2.fc4.rf

Almost all in this list is from rpmforge and xine is all I use for DVDs.
I also installed totem-xine from livna but I like the controls on xine
better than totem so I seldom use that.