64 Bit Kernels On 32 Bit Installs

Rejean Proulx rejean at interfree.ca
Tue Feb 14 00:34:53 UTC 2006

> On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 19:17 -0500, Rejean Proulx wrote:
>> This could well be a silly question, but I'm sure many would wonder the
>> same
>> thing. I have a 64 bit kernel but installed the 32 bit install. Can I put
>> in
>> a 64 bit kernel and will it still work?
>>
>> A reasonable question is, why didn't you install a 64 bit install in the
>> first place. The answer is, I tried. I could not get the cd's or dvd to
>> pass
>> the test during the install even though it passed the sh1sum test or what
>> ever it is. I tried ignoring that fact, and it was a stupid thing to do
>> as
>> it crashed. If I could install a 64  bit kernel with speakup, I could
>> upgrade when fc5 comes and maybe I'd get lucky and the upgrade would
>> leave
>> my kernel alone so my machine would still talk. That assumes that I get
>> my
>> current grub kernel problems solved, which I'm sure I will.
>
> Is your hardware 64-bit?  Is it an Athlon 64, Opteron or EM64T
> processor?
>
> If so, you can update your machine to 64-bit by installing the redhat-
> release package from the FC5t2 AMD64 distro then run yum update.

I tried installing the fc5 test package and it failed. It would not boot in
text mode (linux text). I booted it in graphic and got to the package
selection having configured all kinds of raid. It crashed when I was looking
at the details of a package, one of the server packages if I remember
correctly. I then lost most of my raid settings as the install was not
complete. Maybe I should wait for the next test release before trying such a
thing unless I get brave one day.