Problem with LVM during PXE install

Tony Dietrich td at transoft-adsl.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 14 00:52:15 UTC 2006

For the first time in a long while I attempted a PXE install of FC (FC4)
tonight

I was installing onto with two HDD, which previously had WinXP (hda, single
NTFS partition) and FC2 installed.  WinXp is still on the box :-(.

The initial setup worked fine ... PXE did all the stuff it should do, except
that I had one small error in my dhcpd.conf file which I couldn't resolve,
but could bypass - it didn't serve up the right gateway, but I could get
around that by manually entering the right data at the apropriate point in
the pre-anaconda stage.

However, when it got to the point of formatting the patitions (I'd selected
automation partition, remove all Linux partitions) it hung, no activity
visible on the screen.

Hitting ctrl-alt-F2 to go to VT2 and doing
sh# ps aux
showed no unexpected activity - really just anaconda sitting there waiting.

Running lvm and scanning for all volumes hung, so I hit ctrl-c and got the
message that it was waiting for a lock.

I managed the installation OK, but only by restarting and manually configuring
partitions with NO LVM.

Anyone any clues?  This is a test system, so I was able to repeat the problem
consistently.

I can also retry with other options if anyone has any bright ideas .. the ks
file I'm planning to use for a PXE install to over 100 systems in a week or
so would be a lot easier to set up if I could use automatic partition with
LVM :-(

The only clue I can google came from an announcement relating to FC2 on

which said
"Upgrades via anaconda are very untested; test at your own risk. Upgrades of
systems with their root filesystem on LVM is known to not work."

There are aparently no bugzilla entries - I used search term 'pxe lvm'

Tony