Sendmail Smart Relay Configuring

Lovell Mcilwain lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 03:50:18 UTC 2006

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Di, den 14.02.2006 schrieb Lovell Mcilwain um 3:07:
>
>> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>>
>>> Am Di, den 14.02.2006 schrieb Lovell Mcilwain um 2:15:
>>>

> Please let us keep the discussion on the list. Thanks.

Sorry thought I was sending this to the list when I hit reply. I made
sure this time.

>>> You deleted it by accident?
>>>

>> I don't believe I deleted this by accident since I mainly concentrated
>> on the .mc file.  I am even more convinced of this since as you will see
>> below I went through the steps of adding sendmail-cf and re running the
>> m4 command and my .cf file still appears to be empty.
>>

> How do you try to generate the .cf files? Simply run
>
> make -C /etc/mail
>
> (just to see if there are any errors/complaints)

Output:
make: Entering directory `/etc/mail'
make: Leaving directory `/etc/mail'

sendmail.cf did have content in it this time.
> then
>
> service sendmail restart

I restarted the service:

Shutting down sendmail:                                    [  OK  ]
Shutting down sm-client:                                   [FAILED]
Starting sendmail:                                         [  OK  ]
Starting sm-client:                                        [  OK  ]

I didn't get any complaints.
>>> rpm -V sendmail
>>>

>> This command outputs the following:
>> [user at FC4FW mail]$ rpm -V sendmail
>> ..?...... c /etc/mail/domaintable
>> ..?...... c /etc/mail/mailertable
>> S.?....T. c /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
>> ..5....T. c /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
>> ..?...... c /etc/mail/virtusertable
>> S.?....T. c /var/log/mail/statistics
>> [user at FC4FW mail]$
>>

>>> If you still have the sendmail.mc you can regenerate the sendmail.cf
>>> (given you have the sendmail-cf rpm installed). There must too be a
>>> submit.cf.
>>>

>> I regenerated this file but when I try to view /etc/mail/sendmail.cf it
>> appears to be nothing in it again.  I am simply doing "more sendmail.cf"
>> or "sudo more sendmail.cf"
>>
>>> Issue 2 (Which is probably caused by issue one)
>>>
>>> When I run the m4 command I get the following:
>>> [user at FC4FW share]$  m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
>>>

> Not the correct command syntax.

This was the syntax I was told to use to append changes to my .cf file.
If this isn't right what do I use? I had no clue about the previous
command you gave me to generate the sendmail.cf file correctly.