Delivery time expiration

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Tue Feb 14 05:18:58 UTC 2006

On Monday 13 February 2006 17:10, Ti wrote:

> Mike Klinke:
> > "Stuffed Up"?  Does this mean "not delivered"?  If so, it's
> > easy for a mail admin to see whether a message is continuously
> > hitting the greylisting block mechanism.
>
> Yes.  But what about where there is no mail "admin"?  What
> happens when John Doe e-mails someone, and it comes back to him.
> He posts again, and it comes back to him.  The ISP's mail servers
> are out of his control. Many ISPs have next to useless support
> staff.
>
> Does this person manage to get his mail through, or does he give
> up?

I can't speak for anyone else's implementation but I've never seen
the case in actual practice.

> > In nearly two years of running greylisting I've not had a
> > problem with failed deliveries so far and some of my normal
> > correspondents do use rotating mail servers for their outgoing
> > mail.
>
> This does beg the obvious question:  Do you get to find out about
> it if someone can't post?

Yes, a log of each attempt is kept.

> > However, if "stuffed up" simply means "delayed" then yes ALL
> > mail gets delayed ( unless added to a whitelist ), some more
> > than others depending on the mail server's retry cycle.
>
> I don't mind e-mail being non-instant, but when you have cases of
> some messages taking hours, if not somewhere around a day, to get
> delivered, I dislike that sort of delay.  It can make e-mail
> useless for some circumstances.

Your patience, or impatience, will certainly have an impact on how
well you think it works.  In practice about the most I've seen is
about a four hour delay.

Regards, Mike Klinke