Delivery time expiration

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Feb 14 14:21:32 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 22:18 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 19:26 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > But there are other tools that can be used to fight spam if you don't
> > like greylisting.  No one is forcing it on you.
>
> Yes, they are.  Because when you try to post to someone where they use
> it, it is *forced* on you.  You can't avoid it.
>
> > In my experience it has been an excellent tool with no real downside.
>
> You seem to be ignoring the objections that have been raised.  And I
> mean *ignoring* them, as if such problems didn't exist.

I have not ignored the objections.  If you have an MTA that is not RFC
compliant that is your problem.  If it is RFC compliant then your
message will get through.  If you think your message is critical and you
don't get a response the second after you send it then you should phone
the person to find out what happened.

In my experience with greylisting I have not seen any messages except
spam get dropped completely.  Initial messages from a particular user
may be delayed but they get through.  Greylisting uses the rules as
documented in the RFCs to solve the spam problem.

It is your perception that email should be instantaneous that is the
issue.  There are other communications methods that should be used in
those cases where that is really needed.