Xorg refresh rate configuration

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 14 14:57:47 UTC 2006

Francesco Del Citto:
>> I'm still wandering why default setting of Xorg doesn't support a
>> rate higher than 85Hz... It could be for security reasons, I guess...

Tim:

Francesco Del Citto wrote:
> I mean "safety"
> You could damage the monitor if you select a too high refresh rate.

You can still do that with less than 85 Hertz vertical rates, if the
monitor doesn't like them.  You've only got to get either of the
vertical or horizontal rates out of specification for a monitor, with a
monitor that doesn't protect itself, to cause damage.

I read messages from the public lists.