df, lvm and 6TB arrays oh my!

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Feb 14 16:58:08 UTC 2006

Mark Haney wrote:

>> Well, now we're in the not so good news....
>>
>> Just doing the math....
>>
>> (Block count * Block size) / 1024^4
>> (632648704 * 4096) / 1024^4 = 2.35 TB
>>
>> So, what you are seeing in df is accurate as far as the filesystem is
>> concerned....
>>
>> So, my thoughts are that perhaps someone originally created the logical
>> volumes at 2.4TB, created the filesystems, and then tried to extend the
>> logical volumes with lvextend?  Of course, while lvextend will grow the
>> underlying logical volume it does not grow the filesystem.  That is done
>> with the ext2online command, if the filesystem is mounted, and with
>> resize2fs if the filesystem is unmounted.
>>
>> Can you check to see which of those two utilities you have available in
>> FC2?  Whether you have both resize2fs and ext2online?  Of course,
>> resizing the filesystem is potentially dangerous and presumes good
>> quality backups, and read, lots of disclaimers at this point about
>> eating your data for lunch......
>>
>> --Rob
>>

> I created the volumes myself, all at once.  I verified the size of the
> volume at each step. I had thought that it's possible that ext3 only
> formatted the 2.4TB extent and that resizing it might work.
> Fortunately I have one of these volumes not in use so I can test that
> and see how it goes.  Thanks for all your help on this.

Just an update on this.  It seems as if the mke2fs version that comes
with FC2 when used with a large lvm volume will only create the fs up to
2TB.  When I used resize2fs on the volume the system extended the fs to
the full extent of the volume.  Thanks Robert, for all your help on
this.  I certainly do appreciate it.

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415