OT: Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 22:25:55 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 16:16, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-14-02 at 11:49 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > No, that should be a different topic: How the GPL sabotages open
> > source adoption.  The GPL restrictions have done more to
> > maintain the Microsoft monopoly than any Microsoft employee.
> > Even when a vendor tries their best to supply drivers it
> > doesn't work out very well and they aren't accepted in the
> > distributions.
>
> I personally like the GPL. Times change...businesses change...nothing
> stands still.

In what way do you like not having device drivers included with
your kernel that vendors would willingly supply as binaries?
If your goal is to keep someone else from improving your
product and offering a choice to users, the GPL might be a
good thing.  As a user that doesn't get those choices, I
see it as a bad thing. And I'm sure Microsoft is glad that
those choices aren't available as competition to them.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com