Software Raid On Boot

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Feb 14 23:45:36 UTC 2006

Rejean Proulx wrote:
> Does software raid work on a boot device?

I believe "not exactly." If you are using mirroring, it can be done:
google for how to, I think Dell has published on this.

Remember, the BIOS has to load the grub including its menu, the kernel
and initrd.

The trick is to make /boot appear in just the right place.

There is nothing to prevent you combining (say) hda and hdc, being like
drives and taking a slice of each as (say) ext2 of the same size,
installing grub & the kernel to hda1, grub also to /dev/hdc1 and at
convenient times (say on shutdown and kernel installation) just running
dd to mirror the partition.

--

Cheers
John