DVD Playback under Fedora Core 4

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Feb 15 00:25:47 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 00:24 +0200, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> Greetings Jeff ,
>
> Jeff Vian wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 08:34 +0200, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> >
> >>No URL handler implemented for "dvd://" .
> >>
> >>That is what we are currently looking for .
> >>
> >>If you don't mind me asking , what propiertary plugins you have ( Totem
> >>-> Edit ->
> >>Preferences )
> >>

> >>This morning i caught the thought , that it's problem is not how to find
> >>the correct device but that it lacks the correct libraries to play the DVD even
> >>Audio CD or whatever you put there .
> >>

> > Yes, and the method I related in my other email fixed all that for me.
> > Jeff
> >

> The yum install libdvd* ..... thing you mean ??
>
> Hope it works for me too . I will even try the rpmforge repo too.

All of it together. You need all the codecs as well as the css
libraries.  Xine needs access to several of the parts I posted and the
simple yum command with the dvd* libdvd* and xine* packages simply
worked for me.

It is likely that not all the packages are needed, but drive space is
cheap and having them all helps prevent missing parts that may be
needed.