Two ways Microsoft sabotages Linux desktop adoption (warning: long rant follows)

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 15 04:07:21 UTC 2006

Jeff Vian wrote:

[snip]

> The latest attempt that is presently in progress is the TCP (trusted
> computing platform) chips they are working (with others) to get
> installed on motherboards.  The TCP chips will be used to assist in
> forcing DRM compliance among other things.  What I find most threatening
> here is the restrictions on what processors can be used with that chip.

This I haven't heard about. It sounds similar to the proposal to
put serial numbers into the Pentium family of chips by Intel.
That one died on the vine.

I found this: http://www.research.ibm.com/gsal/tcpa/
which states (in part)

[QUOTE MODE ON]

We have the chip running under Linux, and have studied it extensively.
  In order to clarify a lot of misunderstanding about the chip, we are
making available some helpful white papers and open source device
drivers for Linux, so that interested people can test and use the chip
in an open environment.

[QUOTE MODE OFF]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.