Delivery time expiration

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 18:03:41 UTC 2006

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> I think you misunderstand what greylisting is.  Your first message to an
> MTA that uses greylisting will be delayed.  The delay is a function of
> your MTA's retry process.  Once that first message is allowed through
> subsequent messages are auto-whitelisted.  Most implementations expire
> auto-whitelisted sites so periodically one of your messages may be
> delayed again.

I think one problem arises if a different server retries the e-mail. Red
Hat's greylisting software will see that the email comes from a
different IP address, and delay it again with another 451.

Worse, once the e-mail has got through from one server, the others won't
retry. The greylisting software will spot that the other servers tried
to send an e-mail and didn't continue until the e-mail was successfully
delivered, and mark the servers as "dodgy".

Antonio's best bet is to e-mail the mailing list owner (see the URL in
the standard list signature), and see if Red Hat can whitelist his ISP.
Obviously, I can make no guarantees that they *will*.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | If infinite rednecks fired infinite shotguns at an
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | infinite number of road signs, they'd eventually