PC speaker does not speak

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Feb 17 03:10:02 UTC 2006

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Even after modprobing pcspkr (and verifying that it's loaded, via
> lsmod), I can't seem to make my laptop squawk.  "echo -e '\\007'",
> neither in a terminal window, nor or any one of the ALT-VTs, seems to
> have any effect.
>
> I know that the laptop can squawk -- it does it when I turn it on, so I
> must be missing some other crucial step.

I could not get a beep from my system either. I tried a few printable
characters like on the table linked below and they printed alright using
  octal.
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ascii.html

echo -e \\044
$
echo -e \\064
4
echo -e \\007
no beep
echo -e \\176
~

I loaded the pcspkr module before testing. Also ctl-G produced no sound
either.

Sorry not Not much help.

Jim