JAVA_HOME from /etc/profile

THUFIR HAWAT hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 16:18:33 UTC 2006

On 2/20/06, Nigel Wade <nmw at ion.le.ac.uk> wrote:
> THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> > I'm using Jpackage on FC4 and would like to use cocoon.  For reasons
> > explained on the Jpackage list, Jpackage doesn't set JAVA_HOME (I
> > don't understand the rationale, but that's a different topic).
> >
> > Presumably, the best place to set JAVA_HOME is in /etc/profile?  I
> > have about ten different JVM's, apparently.  Line's 6 and 54 of
> > /etc/profile are the same, and are supposed to set the environment
> > variable.  It's kinda working, in that something's being echoed, so
> > the variable's being set, but Cocoon is still having a problem. I want
> > all users to have the same JAVA_HOME setting, so don't want to do this
> > in the local users .bashrc, if possible.
> >
> > terminal output:
> >
> > [root at localhost cocoon-2.1.8]# ./cocoon.sh servlet
> > You must set JAVA_HOME to point at your Java Development Kit installation
> > [root at localhost cocoon-2.1.8]# echo $JAVA_HOME
> > /usr/lib/jvm/java
>
> First of all, I don't use either Jpackage or cocoon. But I do use Java quite a lot.
>
> The most obvious thing I see there is that cocoon is asking for a Java
> *Development* Kit, but your JAVA_HOME looks like it's pointing to a JVM, the
> Java run time. The use of the word "servlet" in the command suggests to me that
> cocoon is some kind of servlet container, and if you are serving JSP you need a
> Java compiler in the environment, a JRE/JVM is not sufficient.
>
> What does cocoon really need, and what are you actually supplying to it?
>
> --
> Nigel Wade, System Administrator, Space Plasma Physics Group,
>              University of Leicester, Leicester, LE1 7RH, UK
> E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
> Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555
>
> --

Answer:  I don't know.  I do know that there are many JVM's on my
machine, including a JDK JVM (jpackage.org).  I also know that cocoon
works, insofar as I've tested it.

I started up cocoon and pointed the browser at, IIRC,
<http://localhost:8888> and all was well.  Or was that :8080?
Something like that, and there was a page saying cocoon was running.

I'd like to be able to answer your question, and I'd also like to pare
down the JVM count...

-Thufir