RHCE?

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 22:12:55 UTC 2006

I am studying for it doing installs and troubleshooting on my own.  You
don't need the Enterprise copy of RHEL itself, Fedora is fine.  I noticed on
the site the other day that the exam is 'now updated for RHEL 4', so that's
good to hear.

I recommend the Michael Jang book, forgot the title but it has like a greek
statue on the cover.  Be careful and make sure he wrote it; there is an
identical Syngress one written by two others I think.  I like his book
better, it's full of a lot of good exercises.

I am finding that the RHCE is a pretty big chunk to try to bite off and take
one test over at once.  I have a lot of resources at my disposal, and even
though I know a lot about a lot of topics, I am finding my progression to be
much slower than I would've liked.  I am the kinda guy that likes to really
nail the topic so I have a very high level of assurance that I am o.k. for
the exam.

I am wondering if it is a better test-taking strategy to try the lower level
certifications first before attempting RHCE.  In my case it's not so much a
question of experience, it's more a question of not wanting to gamble exam
fee of $750.

If anyone else has any other angles on this it would be great to hear.  Has
anyone used redhat's online training to fill in gaps and/or prepare for the
certifications?  Curious to know how that went.

Marc