Stange things in Wget, yum

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 09:06:54 UTC 2006

2006/2/21, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>:

> On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 09:31 +0100, antonio montagnani wrote:
> >

> > 2006/2/21, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>:
> >         On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 13:42 +0100, antonio montagnani wrote:
> >         > Please note the difference if I use flag --inet6 (that
> >         doesn't work)
> >         > or inet4 that works
> >         >
> >         > get -v --inet6-only
> >         >

> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml
> >         > --13:38:06--
> >         >

> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml
> >         >            => `repomd.xml.6'
> >         > Risoluzione di download.fedora.redhat.com in corso...
> >         fallito: Name or
> >         > service not known.
> >         >
> >         >  wget -v --inet4-only
> >         >

> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml
> >         > --13:40:30--
> >         >

> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml
> >         >            => `repomd.xml.6'
> >         > Risoluzione di download.fedora.redhat.com in corso...
> >         66.187.224.20,
> >         > 209.132.176.20, 209.132.176.220, ...
> >         > Connessione a download.fedora.redhat.com|66.187.224.20:80...
> >         connesso.
> >         > HTTP richiesta inviata, aspetto la risposta... 200 OK
> >         > Lunghezza: 1,140 ( 1.1K) [text/xml]
> >         >
> >         > 100%[====================================>] 1,140
> >         --.--K/s
> >         >
> >         > 13:40:31 (673.08 KB/s) - "repomd.xml.6" salvato [1140/1140]
> >         >
> >         >
> >         > This happens on my router
> >         > therefore I can't also run yum update
> >         > yum update
> >         > Setting up Update Process
> >         > Setting up repositories
> >         > Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: updates-released
> >         > Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo:
> >         updates-released
> >         >
> >         > Please note that similar commands work on other computer
> >         behind my
> >         > router.
> >         > What shall I investigate???
> >
> >         You might try running your own nameserver on the router and
> >         see if that
> >         helps. Or are you doing that already?
> >
> >         Paul.
> >

> >         --
> >
> > Paul,
> >
> > your suggestion is not clear to me.
> > What do you mean by running my own server?
> > Now at the moment I am at home, no access to my office router, but I
> > can check on this machine what I am doing..if there is any difference
> > with the other router that went RH8/RH9/FC1/FC2/FC3/FC4 upgrades!!!!

> [...]
started at boottime

nameserver 62.211.69.150
nameserver 212.48.4.15

and they change at every connection as I get them from my ISP.

What is strange that I can surf the Net, get my e-mails and use synaptic on
the non-working router...it is a kind of magic!!!

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag