FC4 Printer Sharing

Oliver Sampson olsam at quickaudio.com
Wed Feb 22 18:35:14 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 07:19 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> One gotcha to look out for is making sure that the users that you want
> >> to be able to print have to be entered into Samba as users with
> >> passwords.
>
> Oliver Sampson:
> > Is that users from the Windows side or from the Linux side?
>
> On Windows you have user "johndoe" with password "mysecret".
>
> On Linux you create an account for the user.  The local logon username
> and passwords to Linux can be different, as Samba works seperately.
>
> In Samba you create username and password credentials the same as with
> Windows, and associate them with the local user on Linux (which could be
> the same details, or different).
>
> e.g. johndoe (Windows) could be johndoe (Linux), could could just be
> john, and associated with johndoe through the Samba configuration.
>
> The default behaviour for Samba, these days, seems to be to use
> encrypted passwords (the same as Windows does), so that problem
> shouldn't crop up for you (incompatible credential techniques).
>
> > Feb 12 20:32:30 friday smbd[27966]:   getpeername failed. Error was
> > Transport endpoint is not connected
>
> That sounds either like it's unable to figure out machine names (e.g. it
> might be DNS resolution, or LMHOSTS SMB-style machine name resolution
> problems), or it could be network connectivity.  What about firewalling
> on the Windows side of things?

That turned out to be it.  My DHCP server isn't updating my DNS tables.
After I went to going to hardcoded IPs, the printer worked.  (Now, I've
got the stuff printed out that I needed to print out; I can look at my
DHCP/DNS compatibility problem.

Thank you very much for your time!
--
Oliver Sampson               Support Indie Music!
olsam at quickaudio.com         http://cdbaby.com/group/MrSampson