Confused about init scripts expectations

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Feb 23 03:45:54 UTC 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Jon Trauntvein wrote:

> My original problem remains, however.  That is, I can execute my script on
> the command line to start and stop the daemon process.  If, however, I
> attempt to start the daemon using the services configuration GUI provided by
> gnome, the gui will lock up and I will have to kill it to close it.  I have
> found, through experimentation, that, if the gui is in this locked state, I
> can actually bring it out by running the script from the command line to shut
> the daemon down.  The gui will then pop up a dialogue indicating that the
> daemon has been started.
>
> I am convinced that my script is finishing because I can see evidence that
> the lock file is being generated by the call to touch.  Again, there is
> absolutely no problem when this script is run from the command line or when I
> am starting or stopping the run level.

I'm joining this thread late, so I don't know if it's been suggested yet.
This sort of inexplicable difference in behavior of a program depending on
how it's invoked could be an issue with SELinux.  Try running "setenforce
0" as root, then using the GUI tool again.  If it works, check
/var/log/audit/audit.log for "denied" AVC messages and report them on
fedora-selinux-list.

HTH.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman