HELP!! squid dead, /var: Read-only & smartd is confusing

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Feb 23 12:21:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 11:09 +0000, Laurence Orchard wrote:
> I am not sure that this IS a hardware problem.
> smartd initially started complaining about /dev/hdf, this is a single
> filesystem disc of 120Mb that I used only for backup. As I said I
> remade the filesystem & checked it, but it found NO errors.
> At the moment it is not used and has not been used since it was
> remade, but smartd is still complaining of pending sectors.

A file system might still work, for now, on a drive with hardware
errors.  Drives try to hide disk errors from you as much as possible,
but there's a limit.

If you're not sure about smartd's report, you could try a few things:

Make sure that drive's the only one on the cable, so you don't have some
other drive confusing things.  If you still get errors, it makes that
drive, or the interface, suspicious.  Try the drive plugged in somewhere
else to eliminate the interface.

Go to the website for your drive's manufacturer, and download there own
diagnostic tool.  If that throws up warnings, then be quite concerned
that your drive is unreliable.

I read messages from the public lists.