file names lower-cased on cp from CD

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 23 19:31:37 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> This may be a stupid question, but where did you come up with your
> answer? I have manned fstab and mount, but see no mention of case,
> joliet, etc in there or on any other resource that google points me to
> when searching for fstab.

Well, from a variety of sources. I have a book on Linux Admin which
I find useful. But these particular pieces of information can be
found in

$ man mount

Well, not the part about which kernels had these options...

> I am not doubting you- rather I am trying to build my arsenal of
> resources. I do not plan on getting a degree in computer science, so I
> therefore need to know from where to get answers without constantly
> nagging the list with newbie questions.

Sounds like a good plan.

> In any case, I am currently having fstab related trouble, that I am
> trying to sort out on my own (with Hebrew filenames on a FAT32
> partition). So any fstab-related resource would be welcome.

I don't know how that works. Sorry. But Google for

+hebrew +file +name +FAT32 +linux

turned up several hits, some of which look promising, one in
particular has some info like this...

> In windows file systems (vfat/fat32, ntfs, smbfs) the file name is
> always in the encoding UTF-16. Linux has mount options for those file
> systems to decide to which encoding to translate (tranparantly) those names

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.