Wget, Yum and network investigation

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 21:28:57 UTC 2006

> Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:27:20 +0100
> From: "antonio montagnani" <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Wget, Yum and network investigation
> To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> 2006/2/23, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>:
> > Tim:
> > >

> >   Add "alias net-pf-10 off" to /etc/modprobe.conf and reboot
> >

> Done but nothing changed (as I expected.....). I noticed only that
> named server is operating on the router at the office (where I have
> problems) and not on my home router where I am now.
> But I suppose that the problem is not there....
>
> --
> Antonio Montagnani
> Skype : antoniomontag

Hi Antonio!

>From the thread I do not know which of the routers you updated from the RH8,
but I would guess that it is the one you are having problems on.  That is
just a guess.  It may be that something related to the IPv6 stack handling
was not handled in the process.

I would be most interested in the contents of /etc/resolv.conf on all
machines.  It would be nice to know who is being looked at for name
resolution.

When I troubleshot an IPv6 name resolution problem at home here I used
"tcpdump -w captureFileName &" along with Ethereal to analyze the tcpdump
capture files.  When I did it some of the packets were truncated so it would
be best to use -s 0 (capture packets of arbitrary length) or -s 1515(capture
packets as large as the max Ethernet frame) in the tcpdump command.

In my case, turning off IPv6 (accomplished, I believe, by adding "alias
net-pf-10 off" to /etc/modprobe.conf and rebooting) did resolve the problem
on a single FC4 machine.  Since I had an Ubuntu machine on the same network
and could see no way to effectively turn off IPv6 on that machine I simply
routed nameservice arround the DSL modem which appeared to have problems
with IPv6 name serving (probably a frimware problem) and the problem went
away.  Of course to do this there needed to be an alternative nameserver in
/etc/resolv.conf.

It would probably be good to show the contents of /etc/resolv.conf and
/etc/modprobe.conf here.  If there is another alias related to net-pf-10 in
your modprobe.conf I could be troubling you.

Good Hunting!

Tod