Hard drive cable question -

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 24 04:18:40 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:

 >>> whack

> And someone else quoted the last two in reverse.  Can someone PLEASE go
> get one of these friggin cables and settle the argument?  Good color
> vision required of course :)

Gene:
I went through some Maxtor data sheets, and they say that blue goes to
the motherboard, gray to the slave and black to the master. I noted that
Maxtor refers to the cable as a "UDMA interface cable". My understanding
is that the 80 wire cables came into existence to handle the higher data
speeds required by the UDMA interface, and don't have anything to do
with cable select. Maxtor also states that the supplied cable is to be
used with either type of jumpering. Although Maxtor does not explictly
state that the gray/slave black/master must observed when using
master/slave jumpering, one of my hardware references [1] does say so.

It's left as an exercise for the reader to dissect a cable and settle
the crossover/straight-through/termination questions. My eyes are too
old for that kind of crap -- especially at this hour.

-- cmg

[1] "PC Hardware in a Nutshell" by R.B. Thompson and B.F. Thompson;
O'Reilly, 3d ed; 2003.