[akonstam: Re: cups sucks me]

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Feb 24 16:26:16 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 10:00:21AM +0530, François Patte wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > Tim:

> Yes. It is running and automatically destroys whatever I could change in
> cupsd.conf file to have my system working properly.
>
> We have no information about this daemon: who starts it, how to stop its
> nuisances, etc.
>
> Every man about cups system refer to
> http://localhost:631/documentation.html
>
> I can read in http://localhost:631/sam.html#7_3
>
> (Sorry for the French, I cannot find this in english! in german,
> spanish, but not english!)
>
> Changer la configuration du serveur
>
> Le fichier /etc/cups/cupsd.conf contient des directives de configuration
> qui contrôlent le fonctionnement du serveur. Chaque directive suivie de
> sa valeur est disposée seule sur une ligne. Les commentaires sont
> ouverts par le signe dièse ("#") au début de la ligne. Etant donné que
> le fichier de configuration du serveur est un fichier texte, vous pouvez
> le modifier au moyen de votre éditeur de texte préféré.
>
> I translate the last sentence:
>
> You can modify it (cupsd.conf) with your preferred text editor.
>
> Why this possibility and why should I try to do so if
> "cups-config-daemon", systematically destroy my work?
>
> > FC4, at least.  Did you think we were discussing something other than
> > Fedora on this list?  Are you so vehement against HAL, Kudzu, and other
> > auto-config tools?
>
> If they are more harmful than useful, yes, we must be vehement against
> them.
>
> >  At least this one can be disabled
>
> How to? as you say it yourself later on: there is no documentation!!!!
>

> > So far the only description I can find of it is what's written into the
> > system configuration GUI (This is a daemon for configuring printers
> > through D-BUS).  I've found no documention, just websites where people
> > have attributed it to problems, and instructions to turn it off.
>
> So, something is to be changed in Fedora distributions!

Stop cups-config-daemon by doing:
chkconfig cups-config-daemon off
service cups-config-daemon stop
The second line stops it, the first line sees that it does not start
again.

Documentation: Have you looked in: http://localhost:631
then: On Line Help.

Minors in Kansas City, Missouri, are not allowed to purchase cap pistols;
they may buy shotguns freely, however.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University