Proxy authentication on console

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Feb 27 10:13:41 UTC 2006

Deboo ^ wrote:

>On 2/27/06, John Summerfied <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:
>

>>Deboo ^ wrote:
>>

>>>How to use proxy authentication with lynx/links/elinks? I have googled a
>>>

>>lot
>>

>>>about this but couldn't find a eral solution. Putting "export
>>>

>>HTTP_PROXY=
>>

>>>user:password at proxy:port in.bashrc doesn't seem to work. I get an access
>>>denied page. Is there no solution to this? Do we need to use X apps only

>>>use a proxy?
>>>

>>RTFM
>>man lynx
>>=ID:PASSWD
>>set authorization ID and password for a protected proxy server at
>>startup.  Be sure to protect any script files which use this switch.
>>

>>--
>>
>>Cheers
>>John
>>

>I used the -p auth=ID:PASSWORD (replacing the words with my real proxy
>username/pass) but still lynx says "Making connection to google.com or
>whatever site I try for. What could be the problem?

Time to learn to use strace and/or tcpdump

strace can be used to trace (classes of) system calls: maybe
strace -f -o trace.log -e trace-open,network lynx ....

tcpdump can be used to trace selected network traffic. You can select by
combinations of source/destination, protocol, port and (of course)
interface. It needs to be run with root privilage,

Probably, neither is installed by default, but both are part of the distro.