New DHCP For Linux?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Feb 27 14:29:56 UTC 2006

taharka wrote:
> February 22, 2006
> New DHCP For Linux?
> By Sean Michael Kerner
>
> A new DHCP client for Linux is set to take advantage of an expected new
> feature in a future Linux kernel.
>
> The new DHCP client is being proposed by kernel developer Stefan Rompf
> and will (when completed) automatically recognize when a Linux user has
> disconnected from a particular DHCP server and look for a new
> connection.

OS X uses configd which handles hotplugging wires just fine. On Linux,
isn't this what HAL/udev are supposed to do? What's the great difference
between hotplugging USB devices and network cables? What about if the
USB device _is_ a network device?

Surely it's way easer to make udev & HAL do this than write yet enother
DHCP client - we already have pump, dhclient and dhcpcp that I know of.

But then, what do I know?