FC4, installing network at home

amar_padhi amar_padhi at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 10 07:39:48 UTC 2006

How to install a network at home?

I have got an Intel (p4 ht) box with FC4 on it, and a Dell p4 laptop
with FC4 on it also.
Both have got network cards. Now I want to make these communicate.

1. how and what will I need to install a simple network between the two?

2. Later on, I want to make  the PC behave as a server and allow
applications and updates present on this one to be available on the
Laptop too. For example, I do YUM updates on the PC, I want these
updates to be auto applied on the laptop when connected (is this
feasible or manual intervention would always be required). Another
example would be, I have the databases running on the PC that should be
accessible on the laptop when connected on the home network.

Appreciate all inputs and pointers.

Thanks!
amar