Best/energy efficient CPU/Chipset/Motherboard for 64bit Fedora?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 3 12:03:06 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 11:17 +0100, dondi_2006 wrote:
> And it's very important to have it always silent

I think that sort of thing's more a case of looking into alternative
cooling technologies.  Quieter fans than the usual crap, different heat
sinks that don't depend so much on fans, things that don't actually
require fans, etc.

It's going to get harder as CPU speeds go up, and software bloats to
accommodate it.  It, unavoidably, means more heat.

I have an old 500 MHz box that's almost silent, and without having to do
much handiwork to the box to achieve it (one quiet fan in the box, with
home made ducting to aim it right on the hot spot).  I think that
vintage gear is about the last range of gear that was easy to do that
with.

I read messages from the public lists.