Gzip better than Bz2 ? Normal?

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Tue Jan 3 12:33:58 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> But you just *changed* algorithms. If you read carefully what
> I wrote, in full,

I did; understood; but not quoted in full.

> you'll see that I said that there is
> *another* algorithm producing the same output,

Well, Deron said that, and you clarified what he said
("I suppose that you mean that there is *another* compression
algorithm which...") and then you made a claim about this thesis:
"There are lossless compression algorithms for which what you
said is not true."  So your written, or as read, claim was that
"There are lossless compression algorithms for which it is not
true that there exists another algorithm which..."

:-)

Yes, I see now what you were getting at, but it was a straw man:
Deron never claimed that *all* algorithms are limited to bloating
by 1 bit! (Algorithm: copy contents and append one byte.)
He said there never has to be more than one bit added.

Or maybe he did, though I doubt he meant it that way.  I'm
content that everyone is in agreement.

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca