Manual Registration Comcast High Speed Internet in Fedora 4

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 4 00:24:00 UTC 2006

Min Chen wrote:
> Hi, I just ordered Comcast high speed internet service and got
> self-installation kit from Comcast.  Comcast tech support told me that they
> don't support Linux.   I googled internet and got only two posts on the
> related topic but don't provide details.
>
> Could anyone provide any help on this?

I had a similar experience with SBC. They claim to support
Windows (various versions) and Mac. The reality is that
their *installation* and *startup* software (required to
start up the service) only runs under Windows and Mac OS.
The service itself is no problem, only getting it started
up. The software contacts some special IP addresses and
sends some special messages to validate/start service.

I found that they would not/could not/whatever not tell
me what I needed to do. So I borrowed a friend's laptop
with Win XP on it, and did a comprehensive backup. Then
I installed their "startup" software, and got service
started. When that was going, I uninstalled the SBC
software, returned the laptop, and connected my Linux machine.

Works just fine. It took a special call to get the SMTP
and POP information, but I now have no problems.

Except, when there is a problem, they always want to know
what version of Windows I run. It's pretty difficult to
convince their tech support that I *don't* have Windows
on my machine.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.