Best/energy efficient CPU/Chipset/Motherboard for 64bit Fedora?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 4 12:46:26 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 15:59 -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> At 16W, with the entire case being the heatsink (as the Serener GS-01
> does)...
> you're at the limit in what can be done fanless...  Heatpipes or water
> pumps with the external case being the radiator is an under-exploited
> solution...

I can remember the first real high powered audio amplifiers I saw, well
over twenty years ago.  Whacking great big heatsink radiator fins on the
front and side of the chassis.

Now if boards were designed so that hot things were protruding above the
rest of the board components (e.g. put the CPU on the other side, by
itself), you could flush mount it to the biggest heatsink a CPU ever
had.  ;-)

I think passive heatsinking, when done that way, would be enough.
Likewise for bolting the hard drives somewhere directly to the
heatsinked chassis.  That could even help with noise prevention, being
rigidly mounted to a solid lump of something, instead of resonating
inside a thin metal cage vibrating inside a thin metal box.

It'd make it harder for the smash and grab thieves too, if they had to
bring a sack truck with them.  ;-)

I read messages from the public lists.