Manual Registration Comcast High Speed Internet in Fedora 4

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Thu Jan 5 22:44:32 UTC 2006

Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:
> On 1/5/06, Neil Cherry <ncherry at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:

>>> Yes. The cable modem is the dns and default path for the Internet.
>> ???
>>
>> A cable modem is a layer 2 device, it is not the DNS it simply
>> bridges the Ethernet to the cable modem termination system (CMTS).
>> Some cable modems have routers built in, these may have the ability
>> to act as DNS proxy.
>

> My DSL router acts as the default route AND dns server -- comcast
> can't do that?!?

Comcast's DNS is in the middle of their network. The default route
is usually the CMTS (it's the next hop). When Comcast puts in
a router then the user has a similar setup to yours but I think
that's a more expensive service. Most users drop a hardware NAT/
Firewall/Router in to do this. My setup is a bit more extreme, I
need a local DNS for my devices (I can't remember every IP address
and names are easier). I think most consumer DSL is PPPoE and
needs to have that router (I'm not 100% sure of that). The cable
setup doesn't need one (but many recommend the hardware NAT/
Firewall/Router anyway). I've heard of a few cable modems that are
built in a router but I've not seen them. That would also be like
your setup.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site