OT alittle: Dual NIC's on K8N Neo2 MSI MB share Mac Addresses and more

Doug Coats dcoatshca at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 17:49:22 UTC 2006

I recently set up a few servers using the K8N Neo2 MSI MB with the
dual Gigabit NICs.  One of their functions is to work as routers.  I
didn't notice this as setup but the two NICs share the same MAC
Address. This doesn't hurt me because they are on different subnets
and seem to function fine.  I did notice that I has having some
trafficing problems and further inspection revealed that not only do
both NICs on the sam board share the same MAC address but two
different boards shared the same MAC.  So on the network I had 4 NICs
with the same MACs and two of them where on the same subnet.

I figured out how to change the MAC that the eth was reporting in the
ifcfg-eth# file and the traffic issued resolved themselves.

My questions are:

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  I thought it was outside
of the networking standards to use the same MAC address on any two
machines in the world.  Am I missing something?

Do any of you for see problems using these NICs the way that I am?

Thanks for you insights!
Doug