Invalid RPM entries

Bob Hartung rwhart at mchsi.com
Wed Jan 11 05:14:25 UTC 2006

Hi all,
   I have been in running in a circle getting ready to set up a MIRC
server.  I did manage to rebuild rpms for java-1.5.0.06 using Paul
Horwarth's instructions.  Install went okay and 'java -version' reports
as it should.

   I had previously tried to remove all remenants of tomcat4 and a trial
install of tomcat5 from my system.  When I do a rpm -qa | grep tomcat I
still get three tomcat5 listings:  -servlet-2.4-api  -jasper and tomcat
itself all with the _6fc ending rather than the -8jpp I expect since I
am trying to install from jpackage.org with 'yum --enablerepo jpackage*
install tomcat5'.  An attempt to rm -e [above files] reports that they
are not installed.

   I have rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.001 thru __db.003 tne them rpm
--rebuilddb without success

   How do I, or can I, get rid of these erroneous entries. I suspect,
although I may be all wet, that they are in part leading to these errors
when I try to install tomcat5:

   Installing   : tomcat5             ##############################[3/6]

/usr/bin/build-jar-repository: error: Could not find commons-logging
Java extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/build-jar-repository: error: Could not find commons-el Java
extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/build-jar-repository: error: Could not find mx4j/mx4j-jmx Java
extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/build-jar-repository: error: Some specified jars were not found
for this jvm
/usr/bin/build-jar-repository: error: Could not find ant Java extension
for this JVM
/usr/bin/build-jar-repository: error: Could not find ant-launcher Java
extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/build-jar-repository: error: Could not find commons-logging-api
Java extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/build-jar-repository: error: Could not find commons-el Java
extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/build-jar-repository: error: Could not find jta Java extension
for this JVM
/usr/bin/build-jar-repository: error: Could not find mx4j/mx4j-jmx Java
extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/build-jar-repository: error: Some specified jars were not found
for this jvm

any help, suggestions appreciated.  I have the sick feeling that I will
have to reinstall to recover the rpm database.

Thanks,

Bob