Switching from GRUB to NTLDR

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 17:08:50 UTC 2006

On 1/11/06, Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 15:59 +0000, Vicki Walsh wrote:
> > >1. Boot from Linux CD, save the MBR:
> > >dd if=/dev/[sh]da of=/linuxboot.dat bs=512 count=1
> > >2. Reboot using a Windows 9x / DOS floppy/CD. Then:
> > >fdisk /mbr
> > >From fdisk, make sure you mark the Windows partition as active.
> > >3. Reboot to Windows, copy the MBR copy (from step 1) to C:
> > >4. Edit the boot.ini file, append this line to the end of the file:
> > >c:\linuxboot.dat="Fedora Core Linux"
> > >5. Reboot.
> >
> > I'm a little confused. Should I be dd'ing the MBR or should I be
> > installing grub on the Linux partition and then dd'ing the bootsector?
> > Also this is on Win2000 using NTFS. Does that have or support
> > fdisk /mbr?

With the dd step you are taking the MRB that should have GRUB on it already
and putting it into a file. NTLDR uses files to load the boot managers
rather than chainloading to a bootsector. You don't have to "reinstall" GRUB
anywhere. You just have to save it and put it somewhere and in some form
that NTLDR can use it.

A note ... after step one save the dd'ed file somewhere permanent. It may be
obvious to some but just figured I would mention it.

/Mike