Ouch!

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 12 17:49:10 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Ian Malone:

> Tim:
>
>>>They're just a storage medium, so they use what's put on them.  It's up
>>>to the computers using them as to how.  We don't have "FAT" hard drives,
>>>CDs, etc.  We simply have drive and discs.
>

> Mike McCarty:
>
>>This is untrue. Many discs and pseudo-discs come pre-formatted.
>

> Some do, some don't.  That doesn't mean that they're a FAT disk, it's
> just a disk with an obese filesystem on it.  You're, generally, not
> prevented from reformatting them, either.

Certainly true. I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. However,
the reason I wrote that is that I believe that MicroSoft is
trying to get money from people producing preformatted discs
and pseudo-discs. That certainly seems to be the case from
perusing their website.

> An IDE HDD is not a Windows IDE HDD, it's an IDE HDD that can be used on
> a variety of different PCs.  The same goes for floppies, USB disks, etc.

Or non-PCs. Or anything else. But if it has LFNs put on it
on top of a FAT, it looks like whoever put that on there
may have to pay a royalty to MicroSoft.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.