Kino not able to play / open avi video clip

Kenny Gow kgfedora at swbell.net
Sun Jan 15 14:15:23 UTC 2006

Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I wanted to edit a video clip from my camera in avi format.It is played
> well by totem/xine/kplayer/kaffeine. But I cannot load it in kino which
> 'failed to load it'. My version of kino is 0.7.6 from livna.
>
> I find there is no update available at livna site.But,freshrpms has got
> 0.8 version.When I downloaded and tried to install it has an unmet
> dependency in libavutils.so which according rpmfind.net is provided by
> ffmpeg 0.4.9 from freshrpms.The version of ffmpeg from livna that I
> have  doesn't provide this file,instead it provides libavcodec.
>
> Now,I wonder if that's the reason why kino is not able to load avi
> file,it  searches for libavutils.but what's provided is libavcodec.I
> cannot confirm  it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Parameshwara Bhat

kino primarily supports the DV format, not avi. Does your camera
record DV video or something else?

Now, the latest 0.8 version of kino does have the new ability to
import other video formats by converting to DV format. This can
take a long time.

I have kino 0.8.0 installed from source code and it works pretty
well for DV capture, edit, and export.

Another application you might try is avidemux which is designed
for editing avi files.

--Kenny