How to reinstall windows xp

David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Jan 16 00:41:30 UTC 2006

michael_wright at aapt.net.au wrote:

>Hi guys
>
>I'm trying to re-install windows XP home on an acer Aspire 3610,
>I'm using fedrocore 4 as a operating server. how can i install windows
>xp home.
>
>need it to remotely loggin to my server using xp home..
>
>Regars
>Michael

I ended up keeping Windows XP Home as a dual boot option on my HP
Pavilion laptop.  Seems that's the only way HP lets you do things like
update the BIOS and there are some windows only accessible controls
(e.g., if you disable the wireless LAN in Windows, you can't re-enable
it from Linux).  When I discovered these two "features," I ended up
re-installing.  I first installed Windows XP from the restore media that
came with the laptop on a 10GB partition and then installed Fedora.  FC4
recognized the Windows partition and let me set it up in the GRUB boot
menu.  I also set up a 2GB FAT partition since FAT is safely read/write
from both OSes.  Both OSes work fine and I'm about due for my monthly
reboot to Windoze to pick up an update from HP.

If you don't have unallocated space sufficient for an XP install on this
system, there was a long discussion about shrinking a live ext3
partition not all that long ago on this list.  I think the bottom line
was that there wasn't a way to do from with a running FC4 instance that
needed that partition.  I chalked that bit of knowledge up to "nice to
know if the situation ever comes up but will probably change in the
future."  You may want to dig again and see if its feasible.

Cheers,
Dave