Is this real or spam

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Wed Jan 18 01:09:19 UTC 2006

[not speaking on behalf of Red Hat or the Fedora Foundation]

Chasecreek Systemhouse wrote:

>On 1/17/06, Elliot Lee <sopwith at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>>saw a chance to ask people's opinions, I jumped on it.
>>

>Does/Must substantial support always mean money?  What about those who
>have invested their time and efforts into testing, using, et al, etc.

The mail clearly mentioned that you do not have to offer any money at
this point. The foundation is not even ready to receive donations at
this point. Other forms of support and effort have always been
significant and most welcome as usual.

>If it does mean money -- does Red Hat have the mnost to gain from the
>OS public at large efforts?

The idea behind the project has always been to be mutually beneficial.
The user gets a Free and open source operating system with major feature
additions every few months delivered by an organization with a large
amount of expertise to provide advantages that the community on its own
might not be able to do. Fedora project developers in return gain from
by tapping into the feedback from the community at large. Also any
donations to the Fedora foundation can only be spend on Fedora to my
understanding.

>  Would Red Hat not be a substantial
>supporter?  I mean -- isn't the over all goal of the FC project to
>become a testing ground for best of breed projects to make it into
>RHEL?
>
>Please feel free to set me straight because I think I may be confused.

The project can be faulted for not setting the expectations right. When
the project started out the mapping between Fedora Core and RHEL was
very direct leading to this criticism but over a period of time it was
evolved into different dimensions of a community oriented project as
originally planned out. There are packages in RHEL not part of Fedora
Core as an example of this change in the product relationship. The
opening up of Fedora Extras, handing over the lead efforts for many sub
projects to the community members, the process involved in Fedora
Foundation are all part of this goal. Setting up a foundation supported
largely by Red Hat (which is likely to be desirable) seems to be an
issue to gain 501(c) (3) status and the foundation needs to show
substantial public support to attain this.  The current query is to
understand whether the community is interested in such a effort and then
determine the subsequent steps based on your responses. Other details on
the foundation is available from

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundation

There will be a more public announcement after all the deliverables are
ready.

--
Rahul