'GPL encumbrance problems'

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 22 03:04:12 UTC 2006

David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) wrote:

>> Whether it impinges on someone else's rights depends on the licence
>> (say SCO) grant to those doing the (re)implementation and the rights
>> (say SCO) actually have. Copyright and a licence to copy are not quite
>> the same.
>

> Copyright *LAW* is all I care about.  IANAL, but based on lots of
> reading over at Groklaw, the applicable U.S. copyright law

US law has no standing here, or in Europe....

>> If, on another hand, I grant you use under the terms of the GPL, then
>> you are still free to write your software, but if you link your
>> program with mine (isn't that what the headers are for?), then any
>> distribution you do must be under the terms of the GPL, and you must
>> (if asked) produce the source on demand.
>

> And if I distribute my software under a license of my choice and an end
> user happens to substitute a GPLed library for the unencumbered

What the user does re my rights is not your concern. However, if the
user violates my rights, that is a concern to me.

> library(ies) I used in my development, it is not my problem.  Take it up
> with the end user.  This is precisely why the [L]GPL cannot make viral
> demands where options exist.  On the other hand, if someone scavenges
> say the libraries underlying MySQL or Postgres (or any other significant
> GPLed application) to build a competing product, they probably don't

:-) Postgresql is _not_ your best example.

> have much of a legal leg to stand on.  Sounds like a good reason to make
> sure any application I write is POSIX compliant.

When I wrote before, I had in mind this:
http://cygwin.com/licensing.html

According to Red Hat, I can in fact take Postgresql and make changes to
it and distribute only the resultant binaries, keeping my changes secret.

Whether I can build against Cygwin and distribute binaries-only is
altogether another matter, and my best guess is I cannot. Possibly, I
could distribute a bunch of object files for the client to link
together, possibly with GPL-compliant cygwin I provide at the same time.

> See first comment.  There is also case law (at least in the U.S.) that
> says reverse engineering a product falls under what is called "fair use"
> even if the EULA forbids it.  Mind you, I can't just decompile and

I believe our law explicitly allows reverse engineering, but I'd be
cautions about copying a GPLed header as opposed to reengineering it. As
I said before, your law doesn't apply here, and your precendents may be
considered irrelevant to delibrations in our courts, even if the law is
similar.

>> Over the years I've come to the conclusion that my lawyer didn't
>> really understand the situation.
>

> No argument here.  My experience is in developing large scale custom
> software for paying customers.  If the customer is the government, they
> get the source code but generally pay for revisions anyway.  Private
> customers may or may not get the source code and, if they get it, may
> have to treat it as copyrighted by my employer at the time.  I'm just
> the guy who runs a chunk of the development effort.
> As to lawyers, you really need a copyright lawyer if things get ugly.
> Its sort of like not going to a general practitioner for brain surgery.
> It is very complex and very specialized.

On that we agree. In my case, the original development was for a
government department. I had their agreement to further sell it, and
Facom paid for further development which I did and which worked well
enough for their immediate purposes, but it later transpired, not well
enough for actual use:-)

--

Cheers
John