Bios flashing w/fed4_64

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Mon Jan 23 13:11:59 UTC 2006

At 12:23 23/01/2006, you wrote:

>seems to be a gigabyte feature ;) i got a gigabyte socket 939 board
>with the same options. pretty nice to be able to flash bios without
>dos screwery ;)

Try checking out intel.com.

For my motherboard, the D865PERL (which I think has now been made
obsolete) there are three BIOS update options:-

    One needs windows,

    one creates a boot floppy which runs FreeDOS to do the
    job (but still needs a machine with microsoft something
    on it to build the boot floppy from the download)

    and the third is a special for repairing the damage if the
    update process gets interrupted for any reason, but you
    have to open up the PC and move a link on the motherboard
    to do this.

I did grumble at Intel by email, suggesting that they should offer a
floppy image that could be transferred to the diskette using dd with
Linux and maybe rawrite with DOS/Windows. They thanked me for my
feedback but I don't know if anything was done. It might be
worthwhile checking their site to see what is available for later
motherboards and if the situation is still the same maybe lots of
email from Fedora users might help persuade them to make boot floppy
images available?

Dave Fletcher