Bios flashing w/fed4_64

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Mon Jan 23 17:03:38 UTC 2006

At 16:17 23/01/2006, you wrote:

>Thanks for all the replies, but no one answered "Does it actually need
>it?" If it does, how can I do it, I only have Fed4 64 installed? Sorry
>for the trouble, but this is all new to me and I have learned a great
>deal reading this forum; You guys are very helpful.
>I would also like to know why bios's need to be flashed. I have 2
>Win98 cd's, is there a way to extract the flashing utility withou
>installing it? Sorry for such a newbie post, I just want to learn.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>George
OK George, I'll have a bash at explaining further.

I don't know how much you know, so, here goes:-

When the microprocessor in the computer starts up, it has to have
some software  to run. Because a microprocessor only knows how to
execute it's own instructions, it doesn't know how to operate a hard
disk drive or anything else. So the first instructions it runs have
to be in Read Only Memory (ROM).

Now, as I understand it (somebody correct me if I am wrong about
this) these first instructions are part of the BIOS which is the
software held in the ROM which is flash re programmable with the
appropriate software. Along with everything else it does, the BIOS
has to be clever enough to operate the hard disk drive or other boot
device and load up the operating system.

The BIOS is just another item of software in the computer. But unlike
everything else a unique version of it has to be specially prepared
for every model of motherboard because every motherboard is
different. And unfortunately, as we all know, the first issue of a
software package usually has bugs.

That's why it's best to flash the BIOS if an update is made available.

As for how to do it, you'll have to look at the web site of the
motherboard manufacturer, find your model, and read the instructions
very carefully.

Hope that explains a little.

Dave Fletcher