Yum Log

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Jan 24 15:26:20 UTC 2006

edwarner99 at yahoo.com wrote:

> Is there any other place that yum logs the progress of
> files it updates other than yum.log in /var/log/ ?
> I don't have any errors that I know of, just curious
> to learn.

yum basically sits on top of the RPM libraries which do the actual work
of installing, erasing, updating and so on.

rpm -qa --last | tac

is a good rpm trick to know, this shows you packages ordered by
ascending install date.

In addition, a daily cronjob generates a file

/var/log/rpmpkgs

which contains all the packages installed on your system at the time the
cronjob ran, usually 4am, in alphabetical order.

-Andy