OT: router?

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 18:15:44 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Cisco pretty much owns the router market, but for your
> particular layout you could go really cheap with a
> home/nat router for each of the .1-.6 networks with their
> external interfaces on the 192.168.0.0 network.

This does depend a bit on throughput requirements...

If the Original Poster requires gigabit throughput between the networks,
then he will (obviously) need a gigabit router. Doing this cheaply will
not be easy: probably the cheapest way would be a couple of Linux boxes
with PCI Express network cards (you can't get the throughput with
regular PCI, and PCI-X will be more expensive).

I know the Original Poster was looking for a cheap hardware router. I'll
be watching with interest to see if he can find such a thing...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Minis on the other hand are just the wrong size. Too
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | small to work on directly and too large to put