Install over NFS

Jamie Bohr jamiebohr at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 14:14:45 UTC 2006

You may want to try the following command from a UNIX system to verify the
export is working:

/usr/sbin/showmount -e <host ip>

In your case the above should something like the following:

/nfs  10.10 ....

If not, verify NFS is running on the host you are try to export from. Also
you may want to shutoff the firewall (/sbin/service iptables stop) for
testing and try again.

Also, please clarify the command you are using to get to the nfs server,
such as

linux ks=nfs:<host>:/nfs/<somepath> ksdevice=eth0 ....

- Jamie

On 1/29/06, Thom Paine <painethom at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to install FC5T2 over nfs. I googled and several sites say
> to just make an nfs share and dump the dvd iso file in there and you
> are good to go.
>
> I've tried this on my machine and I can't seem to connect to it with
> my laptop. I keep getting an error stating that the mountpoint doesn't
> seem to be a Fedora Core Installation Tree.
>
> my /etc/exports has just one line
>
> /nfs 10.10.10.0/24(ro,sync)
>
> which I have dropped the FC5 iso into. I didn't put the md5sum file
> though.
>
> And on my laptop I'm trying to install to I have my ip for the nfs
> server and the directory is just /nfs and I've tried it a few times
> and can't seem to get it to go.
>
> Any ideas? I don't have a DVD drive for the laptop to burn it to.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> -=/>Thom
>
> --