Looking for a database

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 29 22:48:49 UTC 2006

Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All
>
> Could someone please recommend a nice and well documented database
> program for a person who has never used a database?

I was browsing IBM's selection last evening.
DB2 is the RDBMS if you're serious about performance. Free to developers.
There's Informix, probably free to developers, I didn't check.
Cloudscape, avaiilable as Derby from the Apache project. Cloudscape is
for imbedding in applications, and may work well with OOo.

There's Interbase (maybe renamed) from Borland, got open-sourced a few
years ago, and Ingres from CA.

And of course, mySQL (more of a file manager, really) and Postgresql
that both ship with most popular Linux distros.

Oh, and there's my old favourite from the early 80s, Adabas (originally
from .de) that I think now ships from mysql.com under the moniker MaxDB.
Adabas-D was shipped by Star Division as part of (some) StarOffice
commercial offerings. It may well still work with OOo better than any other.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait