Access Old Home Directory - USB enclosure - LVM

J. K. Cliburn jcliburn at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 00:58:18 UTC 2006

On 12/31/05, Robert L Cochran <cochranb at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
> > Robert L Cochran wrote:

> >> My problem is, I can see the /boot partition on the drive, but I
> >> cannot see the / (root) partition, and I'm want to get at my former
> >> home directory because I have some files there I forgot to back up.
> >> I'm wondering if that partition was named something like:
> >> '/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00' and mounted on /.

I recently ran into this very thing and wondered what the solution
was.  I was dry-running a system rescue using Knoppix live and
Systemrescuecd (another live distro), and I could mount everything but
the LVM partitions on the Fedora 4 machine under test.  (And, of
course, that's where the vast majority of my files of interest are.)
What it taught me is that I won't be using LVM anymore, because it's
not conducive to rescue efforts.  When Fedora 5 is released in a few
months, I intend to rebuild partitions from scratch, without LVM.

I didn't try the Fedora 4 rescue CD.  Using it might have met with more success.

Jay