Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 1 05:12:23 UTC 2006

From: "John Summerfied" <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>> John Summerfied wrote:
>>> Mike McCarty wrote:

>> I'd be ashamed if my C code were so incomprehensible and
>> poorly documented.
>>
>> We obviously have different ideas about what good programming
>> really means. To almost quote Hoare: There are two ways to
>> write programs. One can make them so simple that there
>> obviously are no defects, or one can make them so complicated
>> that there are no obvious defects. The former is much more
>> difficult.
>
> and nobody does the latter.
>
> If you don't understand the language, you're not qualified to judge the
> quality or qualities of the code.

Negative. Undocumented code is "a bad thing." Sadly, we all seem to
commit to much of it. We presume the next poor sod who gets to play
with the code will understand the subtleties of the language and see
what we're doing instantly. We discover, when we are the next poor
sod some years down the line that we've forgotten that language after
picking up 7 others.

Regular expressions are a feature that could use more documentation
than they usually get.

{o.o}